Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Last Year

Spring is here once again. It's the most wonderful time of the year and I love it so much! The cold is leaving (unfortunately though, that old North wind isn't giving up yet), the sun is here longer, and the sky is brilliant blue. My favorite reason however, is that I get to put my garden in. This first picture is last years raw materials.

There were aspects of  my garden that were just lovely and I always enjoy watching little things grow, but unfortunately there were things that just didn't work out.  I was in a bit of a rush when I moved home from Florida, so the seeds went in a little late. Since I started everything too late, the cold weather crops bolted and the summer crops still hadn't ripened as we proceeded into fall.
My baby watermelons were so cute, too bad they never got very sweet :(
 
As you can see the weeds were atrocious and the biggest problem was keeping them all down so the veggies could grow.

The Cauliflower was gorgeous, but never grew any heads???
 I'm still trying to figure that one out.
I planted my squash at the edge of Dad's corn field, but the tractor went through soon after and leveled the mounds. " Oops "said Dad "I forgot that I had that scheduled". Luckily, some of the seeds survived so I did get a few plants.
 
The squash was actually abundant, as squash always is. We got more then enough from the surviving plants to keep us swimming in squash. One of the two successes of the season.
 



The other success was the tomatoes. I put them on the south side of the house and actually bought the starts so they were nice and big when I put them in the earth.  To be honest, I consider this cheating (I should have started them myself), but I'm not complaining because the fresh ripe tomatoes in my salads, stews, and sandwiches were to die for.
 
 
I consider last year practice for the main event.  I have big plans for this year.  I've been working pretty hard since February getting the new garden planned and put together. I've already met with some failures (blasted wind!%@*&^), but those too are learning experiences. Practice makes perfect.

 
 
I'm excited for this year and many successes in the future. Mmmmm I can just taste those tomatoes !

No comments:

Post a Comment